Heavenly Father you are wonderful,
you are marvelous, you are excellent.
We worship you Lord because you're wonderful,
and we sing this song for you.
He's got the whole world, in His hands,
He's got the whole world in HIs hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands,
He's got the whole world in His hands.
At the chorus of the song, Kathy (our group leader--also the founder of Mothers without Borders) changed the words to "He's got the you and me brother in His hands" At that moment, I felt so deeply connected to each of the individuals in that tiny room. Tears streamed down my face, and I felt our Heavenly Fathers love. It was so strong and powerful, that just recalling that moment makes me tear up.
Our next patient was a little boy who is literally the bible definition of lame. He couldn't speak, nor walk. However, upon staring into his eyes--you could feel his warmth, love, and energy. His only way of communicating with his mother, is to bang his dinner plate on the floor. To go to the bathroom, he uses his arms to crawl outside to go. He did have a wheel chair that he had just received weeks before. It was so sad to see this young man--who was basically helpless, and to look at his mother--so patient and loving. The children who lived in the surrounding areas sat around and watched us. We said hello to them in Nyanja, and they giggled and laughed because we are so white.
After our visits, we went back into the compound gates to play with the children. They played with my hair, and told me how pretty I was. They just wanted to be hugged, and held, and loved. We played sock ball, soccer, basketball, jumprope. I tried to play the drums but they laughed at me cause I am not very good!!
After we played with the children, we went and gave cornmeal to 90 year old Takayla who takes care of her orphaned grandchildren event hough she too is sick. All the children who live nearby chased us into her yard and we played with them. Takayla is so full of compassion and strength. I LOVED meeting her. I am sad I forgot to take a picture.
The children chasing us into Takayla's yard.





So fun Jessica! Glad you are sharing ur great experiences!
ReplyDelete